Further Your Encaustic Painting Practice With These Little-known Methods.
Work with carbon techniques developed
by Paula Roland for use in her own practice and shared with you. Find your own language with her guidance!
Powdered or solid graphite, inks with carbon, and other forms of carbon may be used to:
- Create a silver-like surface on a panel or paper
- Use inks on encaustic with brushes, pens, and other tools for expressive or representational mark-making
- Create atmospheric effects
- Use stamps and stencils
- Create "carbon" paper transfers
- Discover unusual textures
- Make graphite encaustic paint for mono printing and painting
- Modify existing encaustic colors
- Transfer drawings and photocopies
- Create "skins" with texture and movement
- Learn special effects by fusing with high-heat electric lights
- Research and use other carbon materials, such as charcoal soot, and smoke
SKILLS NEEDED: Basic Encaustic Painting.
Use incising, scraping, oil sticks, glaze, and virtually any technique used in encaustic painting, with these materials!
We cover health and safety practices.
Right image: P. Roland, detail of Cosmic Order, 2022, encaustic and inks on panel 48" x 24".